FAQs at thePaperFramer.Com

    How Much to Frame my Newspaper, Magazine, Comic, etc?

Read more here

    Help? I want to reorder but don't have a copy of my order.

Not a problem. I keep a copy of all orders going back to when I started in 2001. Use the Contact Form on the Contact Form Page Include as much information as you can remember such as your name, email address and address at the time you placed the order.

    What are Value and Changeable Frames?

I offer two types of frames; Value Frames and Changeable Frames.

Changeable Frames come with mats and a Mylar sleeve to encapsulate and protect your collectible. Value Frames do not. If you look at the frames to the right, the ones without mats are Value Frames, the ones with mats are Changeable Frames.

Value Frames are made to the exact size of your collectible. Your collectible is sandwiched between the glazing and the acid-free backing board and held in place by this sandwiching.

In addition to mats and a Mylar sleeve, Changeable Frames include a support system behind the mats to position the Mylar sleeve properly. The support also accommodates the thickness of your collectible. The mylar sleeve sits in this support and is held in place by a hinged backing board.

For more and the differences my page on Changeable and Value Frames and my page on comparing Changeable and Value Frames

    How does my frame conserve and protect my collectible?

This actually a lengthy subject, but I have two pages that deal with this in more detail. Please read the pages on Conservation and Encapsulation. Options for conservation are also discussed on these pages. The first page also contains links to Library of Congress pages on conservation.

    What is the best frame for maximum conservation for my collectible?

The maximum conservation is provided with a Changeable Frame with UV or UV/NG glazing. This combination provides for complete encapsulation of your collectible as well as UV Glazing.

The second best way to provide maximum protection is using a Value Frame with the UV or UV/NG Conservation Option. It's not quite as good as the Changeable Frame in that the collectible is not completely encapsulated. (See the FAQ below on why you can't use a Mylar sleeve with a Value Frame.) The combination of UV or UV/NG glazing, a Mylar sheet that is placed between the collectible and the glazing and a 100% cotton rag backing make this a very good, economical alternative to the Changeable Frame with UV or UV/NG Glazing.

    What is the Value Frame Conservation Option?

Your Value Frame comes standard with Framing Grade Acrylic for the glazing and acid-free foam core or mat board for the backing. You can upgrade the acrylic to Non-Glare, UV Protective or UV/Non-Glare. In addition to this you can also choose the Conservation Option for your Value Frame. It replaces the standard acrylic with UV Protective or UV/Non-Glare. In addition the backing is upgraded a 100% cotton rag foam core or mat board. A Mylar sheet is also included to be placed between the item framed and the glazing. The Conservation Option is not quite as good as the Changeable Frame in that the collectible is not completely encapsulated but it provides the next best level of protection and is more affordable the Changeable Frame. .

    What is the purpose of the Mylar sheet in the Conservation Option?

The Mylar sheet is provided to prevent the item being framed from ever sticking to the glazing. If glass were used for the glazing and the frame is kept in a humid environment, it is possible over time that the item would eventually stick to the glass. This is far less likely to happen with acrylic glazing as the thermal properties of acrylic are very different than glass. Originally the Conservation Option did not include the Mylar sheet but was added after prodding from my conservation minded customers.

My personal opinion is that this is not really required unless your framed item is in a very humid environment such as an unvented bathroom and then it would take many years of exposure for it to stick. If it is kept in a normal household environment, then you can remove the sheet without worry.

    How do I measure my newspaper?

Take a look at my page on Measuring Your Newspaper

    Will UV glazing prevent yellowing of my newspaper?

No. UV glazing will help prevent fading, but conservation treatment of the paper is required to retard yellowing.

Per this Library of Congress page "Conservators have developed a range of treatments and techniques that stabilize and in some cases even strengthen paper made from ground wood pulp, but due to high costs the application of these techniques is normally restricted to very special items in a collection that has high intrinsic value."

If your newspaper is valuable, consult with a paper conservator.

    How do I prevent my newspaper from yellowing?

To prevent yellowing, your newspaper needs to be deacidified. For very valuable ephemera, you should consult a conservator. You can also do this yourself. Do a web search for 'Archival Mist', an inexpensive product that will gently neutralize the destructive acids in paper and deposit a safe, permanent alkaline buffer to protect against future acid attack. You can do this at any time, even after you receive your frame.

    Do you provide the newspaper or just the frame?

You provide the newspaper, magazine or other collectible. I provide the frame.

    Do I need to send you my newspaper/magazine/comic?

Nope. I build your frame to the exact size of your collectible and send it to you. You insert your collectible into the frame when you receive it. Inserting it is a quick process that takes less than a minute.

    Can I add a mat to my Value Frame?

Sorry, but no. It's not as simple as just adding a mat. Read the FAQ above on 'What are Value and Changeable Frames' and read about the support system built into a Changeable Frame. Since a Value Frame is made to the exact size of your collectible, adding a mat first means that the frame has to be made larger to accommodate the collectible. Then there is the issue of how to support your collectible behind the mat. With traditional framing, the item framed is permanently attached to the backing board or mat. We can't do that here. We need a special support system for your collectible. Additionally, a Mylar sleeve is needed to provide vertical support. You have all seen a magazine after it has been sitting for a while in a rack. The lower right had corner starts to fold under after a very short while. Not a good idea for your collectible. In addition to protection, the Mylar sleeve prevents this right corner drop. The bottom line is that if you really want mats with your frame then a Changeable Frame is required.

    Can I add a Mylar sleeve to my Value Frame?

Sorry, but no. Your Value Frame is made to the exact size of your collectible but the Mylar sleeve will be larger and won't fit into the frame. For example, the Mylar sleeve for a 12x22" newspaper is 14x23". If I made the frame larger enough for the Mylar sleeve then you will see gaps around the newspaper. In my Changeable Frames, these gaps are hidden behind the mats. My Conservation Option for Value Frames does include a Mylar sheet that is placed between the glazing and your collectible. Click here to read more about the Conservation Option for Value Frames.

    Why do Changeable Frames cost more than Value Frames?

Its a combination of several factors. To understand this better, first read the FAQ above "What are Value and Changeable Frames". Changeable Frames are larger, require a support system and require a lot more labor to build than a Value Frame. All this adds up to a higher cost.

    What Frame Size should I select?

Actually you don't have to worry about this. Frame sizes are used to price your frame in 2 UI increments (See the FAQ below on what is a UI). When you configure your frame, you enter the exact height and width of your collectible. The Frame Size needed (and the price) is then automatically calculated and shown.

    What is your turnaround time?

It depends based on the frame selected and my backlog. The page on each moulding shows it's in stock status. For frames that are "In Stock", the normal turn around is 2-3 days. All of my most popular frames are kept in stock. Allow additional time around the holidays. Other frames are "Order on Demand" from my distributors. I use moulding from industry leaders Larson-Juhl, Decor Moulding, Framerica, and Studio Moulding. I get a weekly delivery every Friday from Larson-Juhl for Larson-Juhl and Framerica mouldings with a Monday morning cutoff. A frame ordered from Tuesday through Monday should ship the following Monday. For Decor and Studio, I average about 2-3 day delivery from each. For one of these frames, add 2-3 days to the turnaround.

    What is a United Inch?

A United Inch (UI) is a framing term used to price picture framing. It is the displayable length plus width of the item to be framed. All the prices on my site are based on United Inches. If you have a magazine that is 8 1/8" by 10 7/8", then it is 19 United Inches (or UI). If you have a piece of comic art that is 11"x17" then it is 28 UI.

    What is a Reveal?

A reveal is the amount of mat showing. In a double mat, the outer reveal is the amount of the top mat that shows and the inner reveal is the amount of the bottom mat that will show. The rest will be behind the top mat. For my changeable frames, I use an outer reveal of 1.75" and an inner reveal of .25" for a total reveal of 2".

    What is Glazing?

Glazing is the glass or acrylic used in a frame.

    What is framing acrylic?

Framing acrylic is specially made for picture framing. It is half the weight of glass. It is not plastic or polystryrene. It is acrylic manufactured especially for the framing industry by Tru-Vue, the industry leader in framing glazing; both glass and acrylic. As to the reasons I offer acrylic and not glass, please read my page on Acrylic

    What are margins and why are they important?

If you are going to display the entire cover of your magazine, newspaper or art, then you do not need to worry about margins. If a part is going to be covered, then they are. I have a page on this at Figuring Out Margins. Margins are most often covered up for newspapers where the paper is out of square and for comic art where the drawing paper margins are covered.

thePaperFamer.Com is owned and operated by Larry Peterson, a Vietnam veteran. Copyright @2000-2023 Larry Peterson, Wilkes Barre, PA 18702. All Rights Reserved.